Job Execution Process
A job is a complex set of tasks to ingest your data from its datasources and deliver your data and recipe to the selected running environment for execution.
A running environment is an execution engine designed for transforming large datasets based on a set of scripted steps. A running environment can be:
Trifacta® Photon is an in-memory running environment, local to the Alteryx node. Trifacta Photon enables faster execution of small- to medium-sized jobs.
- Remote running environments provide cloud- or cluster-based running environments for execution of large jobs of any scale. Designer Cloud supports various remote running environments, depending on your deployment.
A job is executed through an output object, which is required for every job.
Tip: If an output object does not exist for the job you are trying to run, the Designer Cloud application creates one for you.
An output object definition includes the following:
- Running environment: For best results, select the default.
- Visual profiling: Select the visual profiling option to generate a visual profile of the job results. Visual profiling is handled as a separate job executed after the transformation job is complete.
- Publishing actions: Define one or more publishing actions to specify:
- Output datastore, path/database, and output file or table name
- Output format
- Update action: create new, append, or replace.
- Parameterization: create output parameters as needed.
- Other output settings
Tip: A "job" encompasses multiple sub-jobs, which manage the processes of ingestion, conversion, transfer, transformation, profiling, and generating of results as needed to complete the job.
Jobs can be of the following types:
- Manual: Need results? Click Run to launch a job right now.
- Scheduled: If you need results to be scheduled at a specific time, you can set up a scheduled execution.
NOTE: Both types of jobs require output objects. For any recipe, you can create different output destinations for manual or scheduled jobs.
Tip: Jobs can also be triggered using REST APIs, if you prefer to handle job scheduling outside of the Designer Cloud application.
Run Job to Generate Results
NOTE: Running a job consumes resources. Depending on your environment, resource consumption may cost money. Your project owner or workspace administrator may be able to provide guidance on resources and their costs.
To run a job right now, you can do either of the following:
- In the Transformer page, click Run.
- In Flow View, click the output to generate. In the right panel, click Run.
Tip: By default, a manual job generates a CSV with visual profiling to the default output location using the optimal running environment for the job size. In the Run Job page, you can define or update your output object and its publishing actions, as needed.
For more information, see Run Job.
These tasks provide information on the various methods of getting your data out of Designer Cloud. These tasks include imported datasets, recipes, generated results, and work-in-progress versions of them:
This page has no comments.