NOTE: This list of limitations should not be considered complete.
The Designer Cloud application applies no fixed limits to the number of columns or rows that can be handled during transformation.
NOTE: During transformation, Designer Cloud Educational is designed to process data volumes of any size.
However, some important considerations:
Soft row limits
- The number of rows that you see within the Designer Cloud application in the currently selected sample is determined by:
- Maximum permitted sample size stored on the base storage layer
- Currently configured sample size for the current recipe
See Sampling below.
Soft column limits
Soft row limits do not affect the number of columns that are displayed. All available and visible columns are displayed. The number of rows may be affected by the number of columns.
Tip: Avoid creating and working with datasets that are wider than 1000 columns. Datasets that are wider than this recommendation may result in performance impacts in the Designer Cloud application.
- The number of columns may be limited by:
- Number of columns permitted in the source datastore.
- For SQL-based datastores, limits may be placed on the length of individual queries.
- All values displayed or generated in the application are based on the currently displayed sample.
- Transforms that generate new data may not factor values that are not present in the current sample.
- When the job is executed, transforms are applied across all rows and values in the source data.
- Transforms that make changes based on data values, such as
valuestocols, will still be configured according to sample data at the time of that the step was added, instead at execution time. For example, all of the values detected in the sample are used to determine the columns of a
valuestocolstransform step based on the selected sample when the step was added.
- Random samples are derived from up to the first 1 GB of the source file.
- Data from later parts of a multi-part file may not be included in the sample.
The product supports a variety of global file encoding types for import.
- Within the application, UTF-8 encodings are displayed.
- Limited set of characters allowed in column names.
- Header does not support all UTF-8 characters.
- Emoji are not supported in data wrangling operations.
- Umlauts and other international characters are not supported when filtering datasets in browsers of external datastores.
- States and Zip Code Column Types and the corresponding maps in visual profiling apply only to the United States.
- UTF-8 is generated in output.
- UTF-32 encoding is not supported
NOTE: Some functions do not correctly account for multi-byte characters. Multi-byte metadata values may not be consistently managed.
Upload File Size Limits
- Maximum upload size for a file is 1 GB.
Limitations by Product Edition
Limitations for subscription editions
For more specific limitations on each product edition, see.
Limitations for Designer Cloud Educational
NOTE: Designer Cloud Educational is a free product that is not intended for production uses. High volume or complex transformations, such as lookups, unions, pivots, or joins may cause the application to crash. If you are encountering persistent issues with this free product, please contact your Alteryx representative.
- Connectivity to external datastores is not supported.
- Integrations with backend data storage is not supported. All files must be uploaded and downloaded from the application.
- Connectivity to relational sources is not supported.
- Results can be written to CSV or JSON format only.
- Compression cannot be applied to outputs.
- Total volume of storage is limited. See Data Usage Page.
- The monthly count of jobs, compute time, and total volume of downloaded data may be limited. See Data Usage Page.
- Sharing is not supported.
- Scheduling is not supported.
- Example flows are not available through the Designer Cloud application. Example datasets may or may not be available, depending on when you first registered for the product.
- The plans feature is not available.
- Data quality rules cannot be created or applied to your recipes.
- Sampling jobs cannot be canceled.
- You cannot create or use parameters in the Designer Cloud application.
- Use of SQL is not supported.
- Administration features are not available. Your workspace can contain one and only one user.
- No access to developer tools, including:
- REST APIs
- User-defined functions
- code generation capabilities
- File Formats: Limitations may apply to individual file formats. See Supported File Formats.
- Data Type Conversions: There are some limitations on how data types are converted during import or export/publication. See Type Conversions.
This page has no comments.