If you have integrated the Trifacta® platform with Hive, you can integrate it with Alation to simplify finding datasets within Hive for import. The Alation integration supports the following methods:
- Read directly from Alation through an Alation Navigator integrated into the Import Data page.
- Locate tables through Alation and then open them with the Trifacta platform.
Alation is a data catalog service for Hive. For more information, see www.alation.com.
- You can import only tables from Alation.
- You cannot use queries or select columns for import into the platform.
- Cluster security features such as secure impersonation and Kerberos are supported if both users in the integration are authenticated and impersonated.
Alation version 4.10.0 or later
Your enterprise environment must have a deployed instance of Hive to which the Trifacta platform has already been integrated. See Configure for Hive.
You must have credentials to access Alation. You can sign up through the Alation Catalog Navigator after the integration is complete.
NOTE: Your Hive administrator and Alation administrator must ensure that your accounts have the appropriate permissions to search for and access datasets within these separate deployments.
- You must acquire the URL for the host of your Alation deployment.
Enable Alation Navigation Integration
NOTE: Although the integration to Alation appears as a connection in the application, the connection cannot be created through the application. Please complete the following steps.
- Login to the platform as an administrator.
- From the menu, select Settings menu > Settings > Admin Settings.
- Search for
- Update the values for the following properties accordingly:
Property Description This value identifies the path on the Alation server to where their integration SDK is stored. Do not modify this value. Set this value
trueto enable the integration.
Set this value to the URL of the web interface for the Alation deployment.
- Save your changes.
Testing Alation browsing integration
- Restart services. See Start and Stop the Platform.
- When the platform has restarted, login.
- Click Datasets. Then, click Import Data.
- In the Import Data page, the Alation connection should appear in the left nav bar. Select it.
- Click Launch Alation Catalog.
- If prompted, enter your Alation credentials.
- Navigate to select a Hive table. For more information, see https://alationhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us.
- Click Select.
- The table is added to the Import Data page.
- Import as normal.
Try running a simple job. For more information, see Verify Operations.
If ad-hoc publishing to Hive has been enabled, you can export the generated results to Hive and then attempt to re-import through Alation.
NOTE: There may be a delay before the Trifacta results appear in Alation. If necessary, you can manually refresh the catalog from inside Alation.
Enable Open With Integration
Optionally, you can enable Alation users to open Hive tables from Alation in the Trifacta platform.
NOTE: To support this integration, end users must disable popup blockers in the browser. For more information, please see your browser's documentation.
NOTE: If Kerberos is enabled, you must be authenticated into the Trifacta platform and Alation at the same time.
NOTE: HTTPS is not supported.
- Acquire an Alation API token.
Visit the following URL:
- Click Get API token.
- Copy the generated API token to the clipboard.
Paste the API token into the following cURL command and execute it.
HTTPS: Change the protocol identifier for both URLs to
httpsand remove the platform port number.
Hostname of the Alation server
The token value that was generated in Alation
Hostname of the Trifacta platform
Port number of the Trifacta platform. Default is
A successful execution of the above command logs the following JSON message:
Testing open with integration
- Login to Alation.
- Search for or navigate to a database table. Click the Open With... button. From the drop-down, select Trifacta.
- The table appears as an imported dataset in the Imported Dataset page.
- You can import the dataset into a new or existing flow.
For more information, see Import Data Page.
This page has no comments.