NOTE: All S3 connections created through the Designer Cloud application are read-only connections.
Simple Storage Service (S3) is an online data storage service provided by Amazon, which provides low-latency access through web services. For more information, see https://aws.amazon.com/s3/.
Before you begin, please verify that your Alteryx® environment meets the following requirements:
Deployment:Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta platform is deployed in an EC2 instance on AWS.
- Base storage layer: S3 must be set as the base storage layer.
- After you define the base storage layer, it cannot be changed. See Set Base Storage Layer.
- For more information, see Enable S3 Access.
Integration: Your Alteryx instance is connected to a running environment supported by your product edition.
Multiple region: Multiple S3 connections can be configured in different regions.
Enable S3 Connectivityhas been enabled in the Workspace Settings Page. For more information, see Platform Configuration Methods.
- Acquire the Access Key ID and Secret Key for the S3 bucket or buckets to which you are connecting. For more information on acquiring your key/secret combination, contact your S3 administrator.
Access to S3 requires:
- S3 must be set as the base storage layer.
- Each user is able to access S3.
To browse multiple buckets through a single S3 connection, additional permissions are required. See below.
- Authentication using IAM roles is not supported.
- Automatic region detection in the create and edit connection is not supported.
You can create additional S3 connections by the following method:
Create through application
You can create a S3 connection through the application.
- Login to the application.
- In the left navigation bar, click the Connections icon.
In the Create Connection page, click the External Amazon S3 card.
Specify the connection properties:
Property Description DefaultBucket
(Optional) The default S3 bucket to which to connect. When the connection is first accessed for browsing, the contents of this bucket are displayed.
If this value is not provided, then the list of available buckets based on the key/secret combination is displayed when browsing through the connection.
NOTE: To see the list of available buckets, the connecting user must have the getBucketList permission. If that permission is not present and no default bucket is listed, then the user cannot browse S3.
Access Key ID
Access Key ID for the S3 connection.
Secret Key for the S3 connection.
For more information on the other options, see Create Connection Window.
Create via API
For more information on the vendor and type information to use, see Connection Types.
For more information, see https://api.trifacta.com/ee/8.2/index.html#operation/createConnection
Java VFS Service
The Java VFS Service has been modified to handle an optional connection ID, enabling S3 URLs with connection ID and credentials. The other connection details are fetched through the Designer Cloud application to create the required URL and configuration.
// sample URI s3://bucket-name/path/to/object?connectionId=136 // sample java-vfs-service CURL request with s3 curl -H 'x-trifacta-person-workspace-id: 1' -X GET 'http://localhost:41917/vfsList?uri=s3://bucket-name/path/to/object?connectionId=136'
For more information, see S3 Browser.
For more information about interacting with data on S3, see Using S3.
- Import a dataset from S3.
- Add it to a flow and run a job.
For more information, see Verify Operations.
This page has no comments.