This install process applies to installing Designer Cloud Enterprise Edition on an Azure infrastructure that you manage.
Azure Marketplace deployments:
NOTE: Content in this section does not apply to deployments from the Azure Marketplace. For more information, see the Azure Marketplace.
NOTE: All hardware in use for supporting the platform is maintained within the enterprise infrastructure on Azure.
- Installation of Designer Cloud Enterprise Edition on a node in Microsoft Azure
- Installation of Alteryx databases on the same node
- Integration with a supported cluster for running jobs.
- Base storage layer and backend datastore of ADLS Gen1, ADLS Gen2, or WASB
- High availability or failover of the Alteryx node is not supported in Azure.
For more information on deployment scenarios, see Supported Deployment Scenarios for Azure.
The following limitations apply to installations of Designer Cloud Enterprise Edition on Azure:
NOTE: If you are installing the databases in PostgreSQL, you must use PostgreSQL 11 for Azure installations. Please follow the instructions for installing PostgreSQL 12, modifying them to work with version 11.
NOTE: If you are using Azure Databricks as a datasource, please verify that openJDKv1.8.0_302 or earlier is installed on the Alteryx node. Java 8 is required. If necessary, downgrade the Java version and restart the platform. There is a known issue with TLS v1.3.
- The application user credentials are used to access to the cluster. Details are provided below.
- ADLS Gen1/Storage Blob access is only for the cluster's primary storage. Additional storage accounts are not supported.
- HDFS must be set as the base storage layer of the Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta platform. Details are provided later.
- S3 integration and AWS-based integrations such as Redshift are not supported.
- Use of HttpFS is not supported.
- Security features such as Kerberos and secure impersonation are not supported.
For general limitations on Designer Cloud Enterprise Edition, see Product Limitations.
Please acquire the following assets:
- Install Package: Acquire the installation package for your operating system.
- License Key: As part of the installation package, you should receive a license key file. See License Key for details.
- For more information, contact Alteryx Support.
- Offline system dependencies: If you are completing the installation without Internet access, you must also acquire the offline versions of the system dependencies. See Install Dependencies without Internet Access.
Azure Desktop Requirements
- All desktop users must be able to connect to the instance through the enterprise infrastructure.
Depending on which of the following Azure components you are deploying, additional prerequisites and limitations may apply:
- Configure for Azure Databricks in the Configuration Guide
- ADLS Gen1 Access in the Configuration Guide
- WASB Access in the Configuration Guide
- ADLS Gen2 Access in the Configuration Guide
- Configure SSO for Azure AD in the Configuration Guide
Before you begin, please verify that you have completed the following:
- Read: Please read this entire document before you begin.
- Cluster sizing: Before you begin, you should allocate sufficient resources for the cluster. For guidance, please contact your Alteryx representative.
- Node: Review the system requirements for the node hosting the Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta platform. See System Requirements in the Planning Guide.
The required set of ports must be enabled for listening. See System Ports in the Planning Guide.
This node should be dedicated for Alteryx use.
- The platform utilizes a set of databases that must be accessed from the Alteryx node. Databases are installed as part of the workflow described later.
Deploy the Cluster
Cluster types: Deploy and provision a cluster of one of the supported types. The Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta platform supports integrations with multiple cluster types.
NOTE: Before you deploy, you should review cluster sizing options. For guidance, please contact your Alteryx representative.
Backend storage layer: Primary storage of the cluster may be set to an existing ADLS Gen1, ADLS Gen2, or WASB layer.
For more information, see Supported Deployment Scenarios for Azure.
Deploy the Alteryx node
In your Azure infrastructure, you must deploy a suitable VM for the installation of the Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta platform.
- For more information, see System Requirements in the Planning Guide.
- A set of ports must be opened on the VM for the platform. For more information, see System Ports in the Planning Guide.
- When you configure the platform to integrate with the cluster, you must acquire some information about the cluster resources. For more information on the set of information to collect, see Product Support Matrix in the Planning Guide.
For more information on the supported cluster distributions, see Supported Deployment Scenarios for Azure.
NOTE: These steps are covered in greater detail later in this section.
The installation and configuration process requires the following steps. To continue, see Next Steps below.
Install software: Install the Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta platform software on the Alteryx node. See Install Software.
Install databases: The platform requires several databases for storage.
NOTE: The default configuration assumes that you are installing the databases on a PostgreSQL server on the same edge node as the software using the default ports. If you are changing the default configuration, additional configuration is required as part of this installation process.
For more information, see Install Databases in the Databases Guide.
- Start the platform: For more information, see Start and Stop the Platform.
- Login to the application: After software and databases are installed, you can login to the application to complete configuration:
- See Login.
As soon as you login, you should change the password on the admin account. In the left nav bar, select User menu > Admin console > Admin settings. Scroll down to Manage Users. For more information, see Change Admin Password in the Configuration Guide.
Tip: At this point, you can access the online documentation through the application. In the left nav bar, select Help menu > Documentation. All of the following content, plus updates, is available online. See Documentation below.
- Install configuration: After you are able to successfully login to the Designer Cloud application, you must configure the product to work with your backend storage layer and the running environment on the cluster. See Install Configuration.
To continue, please install the Alteryx software on the Alteryx node.
NOTE: Please complete the installation steps for the operating system version that is installed on the Alteryx node.
See Install Software.
This page has no comments.