This section describes how to create connections to Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW) (DW).
Tip: This connection is now known as Azure Synapse Analytics.
Supported Versions: n/a
Trifacta Self-Managed Enterprise Edition
|Read||Not supported||Not supported||Supported|
|Write||Not supported||Not supported|
NOTE: Additional configuration is required.
- Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW) connections are available only if you have deployed the Trifacta® platform onto Azure.
SSL connections to Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW) are required.
NOTE: In this release, this connection cannot be created through the APIs. Please create connections of this type through the application.
- If you haven't done so already, you must create and deploy an encryption key file for the Trifacta node to be shared by all relational connections. For more information, see Create Encryption Key File.
The Trifacta platform supports two types of connections to an Azure SQL DW data warehouse:
|SQL DW Read-Only|
Read-only access to the Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW). This connection is available on the Import Data page only.
To create, see Import Data Page.
This connection requires fewer permissions on the data warehouse and its databases but is less performant.
|SQL DW Read-Write|
Read-write access to the Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW). This connection is available for reading, direct publishing, and ad-hoc publishing.
NOTE: Under Azure SSO, write operations are not supported through SQL DW connections.
To create, see Connections Page.
This connection requires more permissions. You must also specify an External Datasource Name. See below.
Tip: Spark-based jobs that read or write through your SQL DW connection leverage PolyBase for faster performance.
Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW) permissions
- Read-Only connection: The authenticating DB user must have read permissions to any Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW), schemas and tables to which the user should have access.
Read-Write connection: In addition to the above, the authenticating DB user must have the following permissions:
- The authenticating DB user must also have read access to the external data source.
Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW) External Data Source Name
When specifying a SQL DW Read-Write connection, you can provide an External Data Source Name value as part of the connection definition. The External Data Source enables publishing and support for large-scale data ingestion.
NOTE: This setting is not used for Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW) Read-Only connections.
If the External Data Source is not provided:
- The connection is read-only.
- The native ingestion of the Trifacta platform is used.
- The external data source must be created by the database admin on the default database defined in the SQL DW connection. For more information, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/create-external-data-source-transact-sql?view=azure-sqldw-latest&tabs=dedicated.
- The External Data Source must point to the same storage location as the base storage layer for the Trifacta platform. For example, if the base storage layer is WASB, the External Datasource must point to the same storage account defined in Trifacta configuration. If this configuration is incorrect, then publishing and ingestion of data fail.
- For more information on privileges required for the authenticating DB user, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/create-external-table-transact-sql.
To create this connection:
- Read-only connection: See Import Data Page.
- Read-write connection: See Connections Page.
- For additional details on creating a relational connection, see Relational Access.
Please create a connection of this type in the appropriate page and modify the following properties with the listed values:
Enter your hostname. Example:
|Port||Set this value to |
|Database||Set this value to the default database name.|
|External Data Source Name||For read-write connections, you must provide an External Data Source. Otherwise, the connection is read-only. See above for details.|
|Connect String options|
Include any options required for your environment:
|User Name||Username to use to connect to the database.|
|Password||Password associated with the above username.|
|Default Column Data Type Inference|
Configure for SSO
If you have enabled Azure AD SSO integration for the Trifacta platform, you can create SSO connections to Azure relational databases.
NOTE: When Azure AD SSO is enabled, write operations to Azure Synapse Analytics (Formerly Microsoft SQL DW) are not supported.
For more information on locating data, see Database Browser.
For more information, see Using SQL DW.
For more information on how values are converted during input and output with this database, see SQL DW Data Type Conversions.
This page has no comments.