When data is imported, a reference to it is stored by the platform as
an imported dataset. The source data is not modified.
In the application, you modify the recipe associated with a dataset to transform the imported data.
NOTE: Any user with a valid user account can import data from a local file.
Login to the application.
Tip: When you login for the first time, you can immediately import a dataset to begin transforming it.
- In the menubar, click Datasets Library. Click Import Data.
To add a dataset:
- Select the connectionwhere connection where your source is located. For this basic workflow, select Upload to upload a file from your local desktop. You can select multiple files to upload. For this example, select only one file.
- Navigate and select the file or files for your source. Click Open.
- To queue the dataset for uploading, click the Plus icon next to its name.
To begin working with a your dataset, you must first add it into a flow, which is a container for datasets. Click the Add Dataset to a Flow checkbox and enter the name for a new flowclick Continue. The flow is created for you, and your dataset is automatically added to it.
- You can begin working immediately with the dataset in the Transformer page. See Transform Basics.
Tip: If you
are interested, you can
create a visual profile of your source data before you begin transforming. For more information, see Profiling Basics.
For more information, see Import Tasks.
You can download an example dataset from the following URL: