This section describes how to create connections to Microsoft SQL Datawarehouse (DW).
Tip: This connection is now known as Azure Synapse Analytics.
- Microsoft SQL DW connections are available only if you have deployed the
D s platform r true
SSL connections to SQL DW are required.
NOTE: In this release, this connection cannot be created through the APIs. Please create connections of this type through the application.
- Read-Only connection: The authenticating DB user must have read permissions to any SQL DW databases, schemas and tables to which the user should have access.
Read-Write connection: In addition to the above, the authenticating DB user must have the following permissions:
CREATE TABLE** ALTER ANY SCHEMA ALTER ANY EXTERNAL DATA SOURCE ALTER ANY EXTERNAL FILE FORMAT
- The authenticating DB user must also have read access to the external data source.
- The external data source must be created by the database admin on the default database defined in the SQL DW connection. For more information: , see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/create-external-data-source-transact-sql#d-create-external-data-source-to-reference-azure-blob-storage https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/create-external-data-source-transact-sql#g-create-external-data-source-to-reference-azure-data-lake-storesql?view=azure-sqldw-latest&tabs=dedicated.
- The External Data Source must point to the same storage location as the base storage layer for the
. For example, if the base storage layer is WASB, the External Datasource must point to the same storage account defined in
D s platform
. If this configuration is incorrect, then publishing and ingestion of data fail.
D s item item configuration
- For more information on privileges required for the authenticating DB user, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/create-external-table-transact-sql.
Enter your hostname. Example:
|Port||Set this value to |
|Database||Set this value to the default database name.|
|External Data Source Name||For read-write connections, you must provide an External Data Source. Otherwise, the connection is read-only. See above for details.|
|Connect String options|
Include any options required for your environment:
|User Name||Username to use to connect to the database.|
|Password||Password associated with the above username.|
|Default Column Data Type Inference|