- You are just getting started with the product and would like to get productive quickly to transform your data into known outputs.
- Your data has groups of values, each of which needs transformation in a different way. In a single recipe step, you can perform these transformations across all groups.
Your data has special-case exceptions that must be transformed.
Tip: You can use this feature as a final cleanup for other transformations. If you have a transformation that handles 90% of the cases in a column, you can use this transformation to handle the remainder.
When a TBE step is added to your recipe, the number of individual changes can be many megabytes of data. Instead of storing these objects within the recipe definition, they are stored as a set of artifacts in the artifact storage database and referenced from the recipe.
- These artifacts exist outside the scope of the recipe file.
These artifacts must be stored in a
for the step to be editable and exportable.
D s item item database Info
NOTE: If the artifact storage service is disabled, this feature is unusable.
- When a flow is exported, an
artifact.datafile is included as part of the export. This file must be imported with the flow definition, or the TBE step in the imported flow is broken. For more information, see Export Flow.
- TBE works best for inputs that are text-based data types (e.g. String, State, URL, etc.).
- Non-text inputs are treated as String type and may result in unexpected outputs (Integer, Decimal, etc.).
You cannot use multi-value inputs, such as Arrays or Objects, or use the feature to create them.
Tip: If you have Array or Object input columns, convert them to String type before using TBE.
- TBE bases its transformations on the currently displayed sample.
- Even if you accurately map all values in your sample, some other values in the full dataset may not be mapped by the transformation.
- You may need to take additional samples of other parts of the entire dataset to generate a more accurate transformation.
Arithmetic operations or other numeric functions are not supported.
- You cannot create multiple columns from a single TBE step.
This feature uses the Artifact Storage service and related database to store and retrieve historical data on TBEs. This database is installed as part of the normal database install or upgrade processes.
Column by Example
In column-by-example transformations, you create a new column from an existing one by mapping input to output values.