In column-by-example transformations, you create a new column from an existing one by mapping input to output values.
- Select the column to use as input data.
- Change the column to String data type, if needed.
- From the column menu, select Create column from examples. See Transformation by Example Page.
- Transform by example:
- Locate a row containing an example value to transform.
- In the corresponding row in the Preview column, you can enter in the new value to which the input is mapped.
- The transformation in development is updated to accurately capture the mapping you just performed. Additional rows in the output column may be accurately mapped, as well.
- Repeat the above steps until all values in the output column appear to be accurately mapped.
- When satisfied, add the transformation to your recipe.
- Change the data type of the target and the source columns, if needed.
- Remove the source column, if needed.