NOTE: Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta does not modify a source. Instead, a set of metadata is associated with the source data, which enables transformation of the source. On export, a new version of the data is written to one or more specified output destinations.
For more information on the formats supported for input, see Supported File Formats.
For more information on distributed sources of datasets, see Connection Types.
When data is imported, a reference to it is stored by the platform as an imported dataset. The source data is not modified. In the application, you modify the recipe associated with a dataset to transform the imported data.
NOTE: Any user with a valid user account can import data from a local file.
- Login to the application.
- In the menubar, click Datasets. Click Import Data.
To add a dataset:
- Select the connection where your source is located. For this basic workflow, select Upload to upload a file from your local desktop. You can select multiple files to upload. For this example, select only one file.
- Navigate and select the file or files for your source. Click Open.
- To queue the dataset for uploading, click the Plus icon next to its name.
To begin working with a dataset, you must first add it into a flow, which is a container for datasets. Click the Add Dataset to a Flow checkbox and enter the name for a new flow. Click Import & Add to Flow.
Tip: If you have selected a single file, you can begin wrangling it immediately. Click Import and Wrangle. The flow is created for you and is named based on the dataset name. Your dataset is automatically added to it.
- After the flow has been created, you can begin working with the flow objects. See Flow View Page.
- Select the dataset and click Create New Recipe.
- Now, click Edit Recipe to begin working with the dataset in the Transformer page. See Transform Basics.
Tip: If you are interested, you can create a visual profile of your source data before you begin transforming. For more information, see Profiling Basics.
For more information, see Import Tasks.
You can download an example dataset from the following URL:
The above dataset is used as part of the on-boarding tour presented to new users.
This page has no comments.