This section describes the basics of creating Tableau Server connections from within the application.
NOTE: You can export Tableau format (TDE) files as part of exporting results from the platform. For more information, see Publishing Dialog.
- This connection type only enables publication.
- You cannot read data from Tableau Server.
- When created in the application, publish-only connections must be created through the Connections page.
Download and Install Tableau SDK
To enable generation of TDE files and publication to Tableau Server, the Tableau Server SDK must be licensed, downloaded, and installed in the Trifacta platform.
- Navigate to the following:
- Centos/RHEL 6.x: https://help.tableau.com/v10.1/api/sdk/en-us/SDK/tableau_sdk_installing.htm#downloading
- All other operating system versions: https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/api/sdk/en-us/SDK/tableau_sdk_installing.htm#downloading
- Complete any required licensing steps.
- Download this version: Tableau SDK for C/C++/Java (64-bit).
- Transfer the file to the Trifacta node.
Extract it in a directory where the
trifactaaccount has read and execute permissions.
NOTE: The above directory should be located outside of the install directory for the platform software.
- Retain the path to this directory. This directory is assumed to have the following name:
- Platform configuration must be updated to point to this SDK. You can apply this change through the Admin Settings Page (recommended) or
trifacta-conf.json. For more information, see Platform Configuration Methods.
Update the following property:
Add to the Batch Job Runner classpath:
- Save your changes and restart the platform.
Create Tableau Server Connection
Create through application
Any user can create a Tableau Server connection through the application.
NOTE: Only an administrator can make a Tableau Server connection available for all users.
- Login to the application.
- In the menu, select Settings menu > Connections. See Connections Page.
- In the Connections page, click Create Connection. See Create Connection Window.
- In the Create Connection window, click the Tableau Server connection card.
Specify the properties for your Tableau Server.
Property Description Server URL
The URL to the Tableau Server to which you are connecting. To specify an SSL connection, use
https://for the protocol identifier.
NOTE: By default, this connection assumes that the port number is
80. To use a different port, you must specify it as part of the Server name value:
Enter the value that appears after
/site/in your target location.
Example target URL:
Enter the following for the Site setting:
User Name The username to use to connect. Password The password associated with the username. Test Connection Click this button to test the connection that you have specified. Connection Name The name of the connection as you want it to appear in the user interface. Description This description is displayed in the user interface.
For more information, see Create Connection Window.
Create through APIs
- Acquire the vendor and type information. See Connection Types.
- Create the connection through the APIs. See API Connections Create v4.
This page has no comments.