This section applies to getting started with Designer Cloud, an AWS-native platform for data wrangling. The following following product tiers are available:
- Designer Cloud Premium
- Designer Cloud Standard
Designer Cloud enables you to rapidly ingest, transform, and deliver clean, actionable data across your entire enterprise. Please review the following sections on how to prepare for and set up your Designer Cloud workspace.
NOTE: This section applies to both the free version and the licensed version of Designer Cloud. For more information on the differences, see Product Limitations.
This section provides an overview of how to get started using the product.
- Administrators should complete the first section to set up the product for use.
- After set up is complete, individual users should complete the second section to get started using the product.
Having difficulties? To speak to a support representative, click the icon in the corner and submit your question.
Before you begin. If you are using your own AWS S3 buckets, you should prepare them and their access policies to ensure that Designer Cloud can integrate with them.
NOTE: If you do not have these AWS resources, they can be created for you. Details are below.
- Technical setup: Please share the technical setup section with your S3 administrator.
- Register. Complete the simple online workflow to license and create your Designer Cloud workspace.
- Workspace setup. Before you invite other users to your workspace, you should complete a few setup steps.
- Invite users. If you intend to share the workspace with other users, you can invite them from within it.
- Wrangle away!
Before You Begin
Hosted on Amazon Web Services, Designer Cloud is designed to natively interact with AWS datasources, so that you can rapidly transform your data investments in AWS.
Alteryx managed account
When the product is first launched, a default storage environment is automatically created for you as part of this setup process. Trifacta File Storage is backed by AWS S3 buckets hosted by Alteryx Inc. and secured by IAM policies.
This default storage environment is managed by Alteryx Inc. and is used for storing data assets as well as assets generated by use of the product.
If preferred, you can configure the use of S3 as the default storage environment.
NOTE: When S3 is used as the default storage environment, you must provide the policies, buckets, and other AWS resources required to manage your datasets and generated results.
- You can choose to enable other storage environments in addition to your default storage environment.
Any of the following storage environment options can be configured after completing sign-up:
|Default Storage Environment||Additional Storage Environment|
NOTE: If you are using your own AWS/S3 resources, you must acquire configuration information before you can connect to your S3 assets. These requirements for these resources are covered later.
Whitelist the IP address range of the Alteryx Service
NOTE: The database to which you are connecting must be available from the Alteryx Service over the public Internet.
The IP address range of the Alteryx Service is:
For Redshift, there are two ways to whitelist the IP range depending on if you are using EC2-VPC or EC2-Classic (not common).
- EC2-VPC (Security group): Add the IP address range to the inbound rule for the security group associated with the cluster. For more information, see https://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/gsg/rs-gsg-authorize-cluster-access.html#rs-gsg-how-to-authorize-access-vpc-security-group.
- EC2-Classic: Add the IP address range to the inbound rule for the security group associated with the EC2 instance. For more information, see https://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/gsg/rs-gsg-authorize-cluster-access.html#rs-gsg-how-to-authorize-access-cluster-security-group.
For details on this process with RDS in general, see https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/Overview.RDSSecurityGroups.html
For more information, please contact Alteryx Support.
Register for Designer Cloud
To begin the registration process, please visit https://www.trifacta.com/start-wrangling.
After you have completed registration, please login to the application. The Home page is displayed.
NOTE: You can now access online documentation through the application. From the left menu bar, select Help menu > Documentation.
For more information on changing the default storage environment or enabling S3 as a storage environment, see Configure Storage Environment.
Review Workspace Settings
As the first registered user, you are assigned the workspace admin role, which provides control over workspace-level settings. Before you invite users to the workspace, you should review and modify the basic configuration for the workspace. See Workspace Settings Page.
NOTE: Workspace administrators should complete the following steps to verify that the product is operational end-to-end.
After you have applied a configuration change to the platform and restarted, you can use the following steps to verify that Designer Cloud Powered by Trifacta platform is working correctly.
NOTE: First-time users of the product should access Designer Cloud by invitation only. Do not provide direct URLs to first-time users.
You can invite other people to join your workspace.
- When users initially join your workspace, they are assigned a non-admin role. Through the Workspace Users page, you can assign roles.
- Select User menu > Admin Console > Users. Then, click Invite Users.
- For more information, see Workspace Users Page.
- The workspace administrators must provide credentials for each workspace member account. See Workspace Users Page.
When a new workspace is created, the first user is provided a set of example flows. These flows are intended to teach by example and illustrate many recommended practices for building your own flows. For more information on example flows, see Workflow Basics.
Getting Started for Workspace Users
This section walks through the process of getting started as a new member of a Designer Cloud workspace.
You should have received an email like the following:
- Click the link. If you see a Missing Storage Settings error message, then you must provide your individual user storage credentials and default bucket. To do so, click the Here link.
- In your Storage Settings page, you may be required to enter your S3 credentials. After the credentials have been entered, you can begin using the product.
- Access documentation: To access the full customer documentation, from the left nav bar, select Help menu > Documentation.
The following resources can assist workspace users in getting started with wrangling.
Tip: Check out the product walkthrough available through in-app chat! This tour steps through each phase of ingesting, transforming, and generating results for your data.
- For an overview of the product, see Product Overview.
- Check out the Alteryx Community: https://community.trifacta.com
- Try the free Wrangler certification course. See https://community.trifacta.com/s/academywelcome.
- For a basic summary of each step of the wrangling process, see Workflow Basics.
This page has no comments.